My Published Work

MY PUBLISHED WORK
Rebuilding Year Breakthrough Game Box of Cows Spirit Legends Anthology Fantasy Paranormal Anthology - I

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

It’s all about the Zamboni

Not that long ago I finished my first historical short story, Accrocher Ses Patins, set in 1927 Nova Scotia.  The story deals with an original six era ice hockey team, that is made up of immortal hyena shape shifters.  I spent a huge amount of time researching.  I work at a historic site, but had never tried my hand at writing anything set before my date of birth and I was nervous about it.

There is a lot of good information out there about that period of hockey; rules and equipment changes, not to mention the spread of the league into the US, caused upheavals in the game.  

 But I was left with a question.  How was ice resurfaced before 1953, when the Zamboni was patented?   The only thing I could find was that it was a three man job. 

I finished the story before I found the answer, but I did find the answer.  One man scraped the ice with a shovel, one man rolled something like a giant bucket on wheels that sprinkled water and the last man evened the ice surface with a broom.  The process could take up to ninety minutes.  I haven’t used that piece of information in my fiction.  I probably won’t but I know that my characters would know.

I am very thankful for the Zamboni.  And I bet my characters are to.

One lucky commenter will win a PDF of, Accrocher Ses Patins (hanging ‘em up) and a hockey or wolf themed charm bracelet.

6 comments:

  1. That's awsome, but could you see today's fans waiting 90min for a resurfacing?! You know, I never really thought about what came before the Zamboni. To me it's just been one of those great inventions that just seems to have always been there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say a good team could get the worst of in in 15 min and that what decided the lenth of the intermision. But no, I can't see modern fans holding off 90 min.

      Heck fans are already saying that even if the lockout is done soon they won't watch this season.

      Delete
    2. They say a good team could get the worst of in in 15 min and that what decided the lenth of the intermision. But no, I can't see modern fans holding off 90 min.

      Heck fans are already saying that even if the lockout is done soon they won't watch this season.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover of this book. It has an antique quality that leaves a haunting impression making you curious as to what the book is about.

    I wonder if they gave the 3 men a head start or did something to entertain the fans while they did their work. Interesting bit of history. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I love this one as well.

      And I would guess there didn't do anything to entertain - people probably did what they do now; go to the bathroom, get food and move away from the ice to smoke.

      The Boston Bruins own the oldest working Zamboni - a 1953, built on a Jeep frame

      Delete